Michael has an eclectic resume having worked on dramatic features/shorts/commercials/broadcast documentaries and music videos. He runs the production company - Tall Man Films
Michael started making films at twelve when he picked up a Super 8 camera from a junk shop for twenty five quid after saving up paper-round money for four months. At seventeen he won a national amateur Film Festival with a forty-minute Super Eight science fiction film ‘Night Skies’. He later applied for a place at International Film School Wales and studied there for three years.
Cinema credits include:
▪ ‘Fatigue’ – Feature film (Writer – Director) – 95 minute, self funded ‘Fatigue’ was shot on super 16mm and made in true ‘guerrilla’ style. It was a ‘Film Four Audience Award’ finalist. It was highlighted as ‘New British Directing Talent’ at Raindance Film Festival London, won Great Lakes Film Festival in North America (Best Narrative Feature) has travelled to numerous festivals around the world and was distributed by Ion – New Media in Germany. Paragon Film Group in Burbank Los Angeles, distributed to the rest of the world. It is now available for DVD rental on the UK high street at Choices, Blockbuster and on the internet with LOVEFiLM.
▪ ‘Home’ – Short film (Writer – Director) The film was picked up for distribution by The British Film Foundations Short Circuit scheme and achieving a prestigious place in ‘The Best of British’ competition at the Brief Encounters Film Festival in Bristol.
▪ ‘Time and Space’ - Short film (Writer – Director) Screened at Cardiff Screen Festival this short achieved a ‘Highly Commended’ award at Leeds International Film Festival and ‘Best Script’ award at Manchester Fantastic Film Festival.
▪ ‘Motor Driving Made Easy’ – Short film (Writer – Director) A twenty minute 16mm short. It was runner up out of thirty five entries at the D.M.Davies Welsh International Film Festival and was purchased for distribution by Nahora Films, Paris.
▪ ‘Joyride’ - Short film (Writer – Director) Graduation film from Newport Film School made for just £1000. It was screened on BBC 2 and at a number of short film festivals.
Broadcast credits include:
▪ Various Music videos to current date for Universal, MTV, NMETV and other broadcasters.
▪ ‘Football Dreams’. Filmed and directed a documentary about a group of homeless men and women as they trained for four months and competed to gain a place in the five a side squad representing Wales at the Homeless World Cup Finals in Sweden. The documentary was screened on BBC2 a number of times.
▪ ‘Fatigue in Cannes’. Filmed and edited a 30 minute documentary for ITV about the 53rd Cannes Film Festival. ‘Fatigue in Cannes’ received a ‘pick of the day’ review.
Awards to date:
▪ Selected for ‘Best New Directing Talent Showcase’ at Raindance Film Festival for feature film ‘Fatigue’.
▪ First feature film ‘Fatigue’ (self-funded super 16mm) won Great Lakes film Festival ‘Best Narrative Feature’.
▪ Won a prestigious place in ‘The Best of British’ short film competition at the Brief Encounters Film Festival with short film ‘Home’.